City of Mississauga Updates Noise Control Program


Mississauga is a large and growing city, bustling with activity and the sounds of people living, commuting, working and playing. The City responds to excessive, persistent and recurring noises by enforcing its Noise Control By-law. Following extensive public consultation, the Noise Control By-law has been revised to keep pace with the City’s growth and address resident concerns.

The updated Noise Control Program provides improved service through enhanced overnight and weekend coverage for noise complaints. This includes a new Priority Response Model to determine when an onsite investigation from an Enforcement Officer is needed, additional officers dedicated to onsite investigations and a modernized by-law that provides clarity around permitted times for noise.

Here’s what you need to know about reporting noise in Mississauga.

Types of noise complaints someone can file

As per the City’s Noise Control By-law, Mississauga residents can report excessive, persistent and recurring noise to the City when it occurs outside of the permitted time period. As part of its Noise Control By-law review, the City has updated the permitted times for several types of noise, including amplified sound, power tools and dogs barking, to be consistent with the restrictions for similar noises.

Some of the excessive noises that you can report when outside of the permitted times include the following:

  • Amplified sound from an electronic device (e.g. radio, speaker, television)* [Permitted from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day of the week]
  • Commercial construction [Permitted from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Monday to Saturday (except on Statutory holidays)]
  • Power tools (e.g. lawn mowers, trimmers) [Permitted from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day of the week]
  • Recreational and event noise (e.g. partying, singing, sports noise, including whistles) [Permitted from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. from Monday to Saturday; Permitted from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sundays and Statutory holidays]
  • Animal noises (e.g. persistent dog barking, whining and calling) [Permitted from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day of the week]
*As part of the City’s new Live Music Pilot, live music is permitted along the Lakeshore corridor (between Dixie Road and Winston Churchill Boulevard) and Streetsville BIA district until 11 p.m. Thursday to Sunday, and within the Cooksville BIA district until 11 p.m., Saturdays only. This pilot will run until July 1, 2024.

Filing a noise complaint

You can report excessive noise in your neighbourhood by calling 311 or submitting an online service request. If the noise is caused by domestic disputes, yelling or moving vehicles, report it to the Peel Police. For non-emergencies, call 905-453-3311. For emergencies, call 911.

The City will review the noise complaint and prioritize it based on its likelihood to reoccur and its impact to residents. The priority level will determine whether an onsite investigation by an Enforcement Officer is needed, as well as the response time.

Request an exemption to the Noise Control By-Law

If you’re planning an event or activity that will create a lot of noise during certain time periods, you can apply for an exemption to the by-law. Learn more about the process.

To learn more about the City’s Noise Control By-law or to report a noise complaint, visit


In June 2023, Mississauga City Council approved a staff report recommending changes to the City’s Noise Control Program and Noise Control By-law.

In 2019, the City’s Enforcement team conducted a comprehensive review of the City’s Noise Control Program. During the review, the City consulted extensively with residents and members of the public to discuss potential changes to permitted periods for noise, the complaint response process and exemption permits.

Leave a Reply